I am regularly asked for recommendations on useful info, resources, different books, training, and services available to parents.
As a result, I’ve put together a list of recommended useful things/resource page that I’ve either personally used (in most cases) or which have come highly recommended to me by people I trust. I am NO WAY affiliated with any item mentioned on this page, but did include links in case you wanted more information.
I will add to these lists as I come across new things; this is obviously a work in progress!
ADDitude Strategies and Support for ADHD & LD
Books on Dyslexia
- Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level By Sally Shaywitz MD
From one of the world’s leading experts on reading and dyslexia, the most comprehensive, up-to-date, and practical book yet to help us understand, identify, and overcome the reading problems that plague American children today.
- The Dyslexic Advantage: Unlocking the Hidden Potential of the Dyslexic Brain By Brock L. Eide MD & Fernette Eide MD
Did you know that many successful architects, lawyers, and engineers, even best-selling novelists had difficulties learning to read and write as a child? Explore this amazing novel and discover the advantage of the dyslexic mind.
- The Human Side of Dyslexia: 142 Interviews with Real People Telling Real Stories About Their Coping Strategies By Shirley Kurnoff
An inside look into dyslexia, the challenges, emotions, and rewards. 142 interviews with families sharing their experiences. Very powerful and inspiring.
Books on ADHD/ADD
- From ABC to ADHD: What Every Parent Should Know About Dyslexia and Attention Problems By Eric Q. Tridas
This essential guide walks parents through topics that include the role of attention in reading. ADHD and Dyslexia often go hand in hand. This is a great read for parents
- ADHD: What Every Parent Needs To Know By Michael I Reiff
This book is a balanced guide to help you and your child face the many challenges that occur with this often misunderstood disorder. It covers so many topics including diagnosis to medication. This is an important book to increase your knowledge base.
- Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents By Russell A. Barkley
This resource address behavior in a very informative way. Whether your child is 6 years old or 18 years old it presents an eight-step behavior plan for children with ADHD
Books on Literacy
- Parenting A Struggling Reader By Susan Hall and Louisa Moats
The complete comprehensive guide to understanding reading difficulty. This book is incredibly valuable as you begin your journey into reading instruction and what actually works and why.
- Expert Perspectives on Interventions for Reading: A Collection of Best-Practice Articles from the International Dyslexia Association By Louisa Moats
Many articles on key reading/literacy topics from the last decade. Inside you will find a solid foundation of research-based, classroom-tested principles in a practice-ready format.